About Friendly Avenue Deaf Ministry
The Friendly Avenue Deaf Ministry is an important community within the larger body at Friendly Avenue, and we enjoy extending a warm welcome to the deaf and hard of hearing. This ministry is working to serve a growing number of the deaf community in the Triad each week. We are passionate about our effort to spread the Good News to all people. Click here to learn more about what we believe.
As part of our church family’s commitment to provide equal access to bible study, worship, and fellowship with other believers, the Friendly Avenue Church of Christ offers many benefits to assist deaf and hard of hearing Christians. These benefits are intended to enhance your personal relationship with God and to become an active part of our vibrant church community.
Following are just a few of our benefits to the deaf community.
- Reserved seating near the front and a professional interpreter is a part of combined worship services.
- Classroom/Worship space designed with our Deaf Ministry in mind (computers and wifi access, multiple monitors and a large-format projector, individual table space for all who attend, theater style seating providing unobstructed views during teaching and discussion).
- Bible study begins at 9:00 a.m. every Sunday and is conducted in ASL.
- Worship services every Sunday morning at 10:00 a.m.
- Communion (the Lord’s Supper) provided every Sunday during worship.
- Quarterly fellowship meals.
- Special service projects.
- Local outreach and national/international missions opportunities.
- Access to food and clothing through our food pantry program and “Caring by Sharing.”
- Guest speakers and teachers.
- Spiritual guidance and counseling from mature Christians and an elder who shepherds our deaf members.
- Personal Bible study and baptism available to those who request.
- An elder/shepherd who can sign is assigned to our ministry for spiritual oversight and to assist in our engagement with the body at-large.
Your Home is Here
It is our hope you will feel at “home” with us. We welcome you with “open arms” and hope you will find a spiritual home in a relationship with God through Jesus Christ. In the gospel of Matthew, chapter 5, verse 16, Jesus says, “Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.” Our goal is to help all people grow in their faith in Jesus Christ and lead them toward spiritual maturity and ministry involvement through fellowship with other believers as we worship God, study His Word, and Serve the church, our community, and the world. It is our desire that the focus of every worship service, every activity and individual life at Friendly Avenue seeks the Father’s heart, follows His ways and shares His love and light with others. American Sign Language (ASL) is the native language of the Deaf and hard of hearing, and we believe in fully utilizing it to communicate to those in our community who desire to worship with us in ASL.
Sunday Bible Study: 9:00 a.m. – Room 12
The deaf community in Greensboro and across the Triad are invited to join us as we dive into the pages of God’s Word. Communication is in ASL. Join us as we discuss and share God’s Word, pray, and encourage one another. Know and be known—join our community!
Sunday Worship: 10:00 a.m. – Room 12
Friendly Avenue Deaf Ministry invites anyone desiring to worship in American Sign Language (ASL) to join us every Sunday morning for worship. Our group participates in combined worship with English and Spanish speakers during the 10:15 a.m. worship service in the auditorium once a quarter. Combined services have professional, certified ASL interpreters.
Special Needs Assistance
The church established by Jesus Christ is one; all are valued, invited, and accepted here no matter where you are in your journey with God. If you or any member of your family ever needs any other special accommodations in order to be able to worship here, we will make every accommodation that we are able to achieve.
Handicapped parking (with appropriate identification) is available close to the entrance, and our men’s ministry offers valet parking for those with special needs. We understand that physical impediments can be very difficult. Friendly Avenue complies with ADA and is fully handicap accessible. Please contact us in advance so we may accommodate any special needs you may have.